Saturday 18 April 2015

Another one of those blogs...

...that's different from the norm -

The Imperial Diet of Worms
 
On 17 April 1521, Martin Luther was asked if a collection of books (25) was his, and if he was prepared to recant and revoke their heresies.   Luther asked for more time to give a proper answer, so was given until the next day.
On 18 April, Martin Luther, stating he'd prayed for long hours, consulted with friends and mediators, and presented himself before the Diet.  Among other things, he said - Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me.   Amen
 
Image result for martin luther worms

 
 Here is one of his prayers -

Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it.
I am weak in the faith; strengthen me.
I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbour.
I do not have a strong faith; at times I doubt.
O Lord, help me. Strengthen my faith and trust in you.
With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness.
Therefore I will strive to remain with you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment